Here’s one of my favorite treats when I am craving something rich and sweet. Essentially it’s my a healthier alternative for when I am craving chocolate and peanut butter ice cream. This shake is very filling and will definitely quell your hunger, plus it’s packed with plenty of protein and much lower in sugar so it will help keep your blood sugar balanced. You’ll find this shake so decadent you won’t even miss having ice cream!
- 8 oz of unsweetened coconut milk (or base of choice)
- 1 scoop of Thorne chocolate protein powder
- 1/2 frozen banana
- 1 TBSP almond butter or peanut butter
- 1 tsp Divine cocoa powder
- 1 TBSP avocado (optional, adding this will help thicken your shake)
- 1/2 cup of ice cubes (start with a few and add more as needed)
- Add 2 dashes of sea salt
- Optional ~ Add 4 drops of Kal liquid stevia for additional sweetness
- Start by adding your liquid base. Remember to start with less. You can always add more to get it to just the thickness you prefer.
- Place remaining ingredients in blender and cover with lid.
- Blend thoroughly
- Check for consistency and desired thickness, add more liquid and/or ice if needed and blend a second time to complete the recipe. Every one has a slightly different preference when it comes to thickness of protein shakes, make a few notes for yourself as to how much ice & liquid you prefer. Before you know it, you’ll be able to make this shake in no time!
- Cut and freeze bananas ahead of time. The more brown a banana is, the sweeter it will make your shake taste. Keep in mind it will also offer a higher sugar content. You can experiment with yellow to yellow-green banana (un-ripe) for less sugar and a more resistant starchy carb. Another way to reduce your sugar content would be to simply use less banana.
- Avocados can also be cut fresh and then frozen.