Looking for a healthy green snack to help celebrate St. Patrick’s Day? Check out our creamy avocado hummus recipe.
This delicious snack only takes a few minutes to make. Plus, it is a fresh alternative to the dozens of green-food colored treats you will find on St. Patty’s Day. This year, skip the Shamrock Shake and try this hummus instead.
You can spread the avocado hummus on toast for a festive breakfast. Or dip some chips or raw veggies into the hummus for a satisfying afternoon snack.
As you enjoy your hummus, think about all the important nutrients packed into avocados. Avocados are a great source of:
- Oleic Acid- This is the healthy-fat in avocados that reduces inflammation and keeps your heart healthy.
- Potassium- Many people don’t get enough potassium, but luckily avocados are packed with this mineral that helps lower blood pressure.
- Fiber– Fiber helps you feel full, can contribute to weight loss, and is beneficial for your overall health.
Of course, our hummus recipe also includes chickpeas and tahini. These are both nutritious ingredients that your body will thank you for. Tahini is packed with protein, Vitamin B (important for brain health) and Vitamin E (protects against heart disease). Chickpeas are a great vegetarian source of protein and fiber.
Ready to give it a try? Grab your blender or food processor and get started! Of course, you can make this recipe at any time of the year. But its light green color makes it a fun and healthy option for St. Patrick’s Day!
- 1 (15 oz) can of garbanzo beans or chickpeas
- 2 ripe avocados
- 3 TBSP olive oil
- 1 ½ TBSP tahini
- Juice from 2 limes
- 1 garlic clove
- Salt and pepper (to taste)
- 1/8 TSP cumin
- Cilantro leaves (optional)
- Drain and rinse chickpeas.
- Add chickpeas, olive oil, tahini, garlic, and lime juice to a blender or food processor. Pulse slowly for 2 minutes or until smooth. Taste. Add salt and pepper as needed.
- Core and peel avocados.
- Add peeled avocados and cumin to blender or food processor. Continue to pulse until creamy and smooth (about 1 minute).
- To serve, drizzle additional olive oil over the hummus. Top with cilantro if desired. Enjoy with pita chips or smeared on toast.
For more recipes and health tips, sign up for my newsletter today!
Tried the recipe? Share your thoughts in the comments below.